Health benefits of goji berries
Various research studies have shown that eating berries including blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, strawberries and goji berries can have many health benefits. Goji berries also known as wolfberry have been used for thousands of years for their healing and medicinal properties. Goji berries are an amazing nutrient-dense superfood and should be a part of regular diet of mothers and growing children. You can add goji berries to your smoothies, muffins or breads, salads or cereals on regular basis.
Goji berries have amazing nutritional benefits that can promote overall health and longevity. As a matter of fact, goji berries have:
>> 18 different amino acids, including 8 amino acids for complete protein.
>> 21 trace minerals, including calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron (twice iron of spinach), copper, germanium, phosphorus and selenium.
>> Lots of vitamin A, B vitamins, including vitamin B1, B2 and B6, vitamin C, vitamin E and fiber
>> Powerful antioxidants including carotenoids (good for eyes), beta-carotene (twice beta-carotene as carrots), polysaccharides, lutein, germanium and zeaxanthin. As high as goji berries are on antioxidants, there are few other foods that have even higher level of antioxidants than goji berries. The video by nutritionfacts.org shows that there are other foods that are even better than goji berries in terms of antioxidants. These foods (from highest level of antioxidants) are: dried Indian gooseberries, dried red whortleberries, barberries (common spice used in Persian rice made with barberries and Saffron) and dried pomegranate seeds.
Here are the top 15 health benefits of goji berries:
- Improving the cardiovascular health by increasing circulation, maintaining a healthy blood pressure and reducing bad cholesterol level
- Supporting healthy liver, kidneys and pancreas function
- Improving eye vision (The powerful antioxidant known as zeaxanthin in goji berries gets easily absorbed by going directly to eyes and liver)
- Helping stress and anxiety
- Improving sexual function and fertility
- Promoting overall health and longevity
- Supporting muscle, legs and bone health
- Improving the immune system
- Reducing menopause symptoms
- The powerful antioxidants in goji berries can fight free radicals, toxins and heavy metals.
- Promoting healthy skin (Goji berries are a great source of phospholipids for promoting beauty and skin care)
- The phytonutrient in goji berries known as betaine can Improve cardio health, memory loss, and fight Alzheimer’s disease
- Reducing inflammation and improving healthy blood sugar levels
- Improving sleeping disorders such as insomnia or sleep apnea
- Improving dry cough and nervous system